Skip to main content

We Care: Helping Abused Dogs (Megan)

My husband Brad and I are huge dog lovers. Ever since we have been together, we have owned a dog (usually 2 or 3)! I truly think Brad is a 'dog whisperer' because any dog (no matter how shy, grumpy or scared) will end up loving him just like that. When we lived in Kansas, we adopted a St Bernard (Chester) from a wonderful organisation called Big Dogs, Huge Paws. They are a rescue place for large dog breeds that have been abused and/or neglected. Our dog Chester was one of the best dogs we've ever had. Unfortunately because of his abuse as a puppy, he suffered from severe seizures. He would have a seizure almost daily and it was one of the hardest and saddest things to witness. He was on medication which helped (he would have had more if not on meds), but he still suffered immensely from his former life. When Chester would have a fit, we would lie beside him and show comfort by stroking and talking to him. Our other dogs at the time (Harley and Brody) would come and sit by Chester as well. All three dogs were inseparable and were best mates.

Brad and I wanted to help more dogs like Chester, so we volunteered to work with the Big Dogs, Huge Paws organisation. We were delighted to be given the job of transporting dogs to the shelter/foster families or to their new forever homes. Sometimes we would travel to other states to get dogs. It was loads of fun. We did this for a couple of years and absolutely loved it. We got to meet all kinds of large dog breeds and we fell in love with all of them. One night, we rescued six Mastiff puppies from a terrible situation. We had to keep them overnight and take them to their foster home the next day. That night was awesome! We were in dog heaven. Brad slept downstairs with our three dogs and I slept upstairs in our bed with the six puppies! I definitely got heaps of snuggles and kisses with their sweet puppy breath! I would love to own a dog rescue place; that would be a dream of mine. I care so much about dogs and literally cry and become unglued when I hear about any dog being abused or neglected. Once our lives slow down a bit, Brad and I are going to look at volunteering again at the SPCA or a place similar.

Below is a link to the Big Dogs, Huge Paws website. Even though it's in the US, you can still read about it and have fun looking at the adorable 'huge' pups up for adoption. Enjoy!

http://bigdogshugepaws.com/adoption

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Love Learning - Working with Eco Dyes (Hannah)

As many of you already know, I love making things, particularly involving fibre (a.k.a. fabric and wool). One of my goals for this year is to expand my skill set in this area by taking up as many learning opportunities as I can. When I saw rekindle  was advertising a class on using natural dyes, I knew I was interested. Over the course of the class, we experimented with the different dyes, both on their own and mixed with each other. Of all the colours, my favourite was the colour made with avocado stones, which is, rather surprisingly, a lovely, soft pink. We also wrote out the recipes for each of the dyes, as well as some others we didn't have in front of us. It was really interesting to learn about Ari, the teacher's, philosophy around dying. To find the plant matter to make the dyes, she forages what has been left on the ground, leaving the living matter for the plant to continue to use. I am often in awe of nature, but I found it particularly interesting that only...

The Himalayan Trust Summit Challenge

Four years ago, I spent six weeks working as I volunteer teacher trainer in the Solokhumbu region of Nepal. The Solokumbu region is where Mount Everest is, although the villages that I worked in were much lower in the valley. I did see Everest as a tiny peak in the distance on one hike I did during my time there, but we were pretty far away.  As a result, the remote mountain villages that I worked in didn't see the tourist traffic that villages higher up in the valley would see. Tourists bring the potential to earn money through tea houses and sherpa services. The lack of tourists and the remoteness of the villages meant provided additional challenges to the people who lived there.  The Himalayan Trust is the charity set up by Sir Edmund Hillary to support the people of the Solokhumbu with building schools, training teachers and providing clean drinking water. During his time in Nepal, Hillary formed a close connection with the people living in the villages he visited as he...

We Love Learning: Rag Quilting (Nicky)

When school finished last year, I started getting organised for Christmas. I wanted to have new placemats for our table as the family was coming to our house for Christmas dinner. I went to my favourite website, Pinterest, and found instructions on how to make some cool mats using a ragging technique. Several hours later I had 10 double sided placemats that I really loved. My finished placemats. Next time I went onto Pinterest, ideas for rag quilting were on my feed. I loved the look of these quilts and did some research. I read articles and viewed videos. A rag quilt sample, not mine. I had always wanted to make a quilt for our bed and this method looked like a great way to start. Feeling motivated, I tested out two different variations that I discovered when researching. Investigating which variation to use. I decided that I wanted to sandwich flannel fabric inside my quilt squares rather than dacron, as it gave a better ragging effect and would make a light...